Merchant Applications opened on September 1, 2019, and acceptance emails were sent in mid-October. All merchants at that time were discussed by a jury of the Autocrat, Merchant Coordinator, and the Baron and Baroness of Stonemarche.
If you wish to be put on the wait list, please feel free to send in your registration. The Merchant Coordinator will then be in touch with you.
How do I become a merchant for Birka 2020?
Registrations open September 1. (LINK.) Be certain to have your application in well before October 15th, so you will be included in the jurying process. Merchants later than that date will be fit in as we are able.
Responses for first-wave acceptances will go out by October 15. Reply to the email promptly to confirm your spot. Your acceptance will contain your merchant contract, and an invoice with specified sections to write in personnel pre-registrations. Please include SCA member numbers.
Return the contract, the invoice/preregistration page, and your payment. Please note that if your payment reflects any SCA memberships without member numbers present, we must hold your registration, and your spot is not guaranteed.
Stay in touch via email to keep abreast of news regarding the site, the event, or upcoming alerts re: weather, hotel, etc. Any cancelations or added spots will be available via the Merchant Coordinator. If you have any questions leading up, please talk to me!
- Payments are absolutely due by December 1 unless you are accepted after that date.
What if I didn’t get in with the first wave?
Often, we must jury based on “too many” of a particular kind of merchant like jewelry or garb or leather work. As the event nears, people drop out, and it’s very likely we can include you. Stay in touch, and let us know your availability.
The hotel is full!
We know. We really can’t do anything about how quickly it fills. We’re sorry. The hotel has 248 rooms, and our event generally sees 1,800 – 2,000 attendees. There’s just no way we can stop it from filling up. Please ask the coordinator for a list of alternative hotels in the area.
Don’t we do pre-registrations in the application?
Not this year. In years previous, we got feedback that merchants found it difficult to track down their potential employees four months in advance and get their member numbers AND get their application in promptly. Personnel pre-registrations will be a fill-in section in your invoice.
A few important notes:
- Confirmation that your application has been received will be sent out usually within 24 hours of receipt. If you have any changes or concerns, please let us know then!
- Please do not send payment via any form of signature confirmation. Birka staff are not legally allowed to sign for mail on behalf of the Barony of Stonemarche. Your envelope will be returned and your payment unprocessed.
- The Expo Center map will be available as soon as the majority of payments have been processed. It is not possible for the staff to predict a layout before we have confirmation of who is attending.
- Jurying will take place after October 15, when applications generally come to a close. The survey will be available after that, but likely, you will be on the waitlist. We usually go through most of the waitlist. Please be patient.